Well known with its Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (MBR) Solar Park, United Arab Emirates (UAE) has been focusing on renewable energy development, and Dubai has been at the forefront in adopting international green-economy strategies and creating an ideal market for solar energy.
The MBR Park is the biggest single-site solar park in the world that is based on the IPP model. It plans a total capacity of 1GW by 2020, and 5GW till 2030. The 4th phase 200MW solar CSP tower project is under the final evaluation of pricing bidding.
Recently Mr. Faisal Rashid, DSMDirector from Dubai Supreme Council of Energy (DSCE) has confirmed with CSP Focus to join the upcoming CSP Focus MENA 2017 Sept.13-14 Dubai conference, sharing the topic of Role of solar and DSM in sustainable energy future of Dubai from the view of Dubai governingbody.
The details of Mr. Faisal Rashid’s speech will be:
- Overview of strategies for ensuring sustainability in the energy sector of Dubai
- Overview about DSM Strategy, programs on energy efficiency and demand side management
- Policies, roadmap and enablers related to solar energy in Dubai
Speakers during CSP Focus MENA 2017 Sept.13-14 Dubai:
- Faisal Rashid, DSM Director, Dubai Supreme Council of Energy
- President, MESIA
- Andrea Lovato, Executive Director-Head of Renewable Development, ACWA Power
- Executive, ACWA Power
- Hamed Al-Saggaf, Executive Director, Saudi Electricity Company
- Michael Geyer, VP for Concessions and BD, Europe and Africa, Abengoa
- Adrian Lopez, Managing Director Middle East, TSK
- Executive, ACS Cobra
- Xavier Lara, Executive Director of Construction and Services Business Unit, Empresarios Agrupados
- Andreas Pfahl, Project Manager, DLR
- Nicolas Calvet, Assistant Professor – Department of Mechanical & Materials Engineering, Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
- Jonathan Walters, Senior Advisor, Castalia Strategic Advisors
- Imtiaz Mahtab, Managing Director for MENA, SkyPower
- Muhammad Wakil Shahzad, Research Scientist, King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
- Gus Schellekens, Partner, Ernst & Young
- Labib Kazkaz, Vice President Business Development, Heliovis
The Demand Side Management (DSM) Strategy is part of the Dubai Integrated Energy Strategy 2030 (DIES). Inassociation with Dubai Clean EnergyStrategy 2050, the goal is to diversify the energy mix with 25% solar share, 7% from clean coal, and a 7% nuclear share by 2030. The extended goal is 75% solar by 2050.
Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050 consists of five main pillars: infrastructure, legislation, funding, building capacitiesand skills, and an environmentally-friendly energy mix. The infrastructure pillar includes initiatives such as the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.
Dubai previously set a world record in the cost of solar energy after it received aglobally-competitive price of USD 2.99 cents per kilowatt hour (kW/h), for the 800MW third phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.