Abengoa and the Japanese multinational ITOCHU Corporation, inaugurated today the first phase of the Extremadura Solar Complex.
Abengoa (MCE: ABG.B), the international company that applies innovative technology solutions for sustainable development in the energy and environment sectors, and the Japanese multinational ITOCHU Corporation, inaugurated today the first phase of the Extremadura Solar Complex. The complex is located in Logrosán, Cáceres, and is made up of two identical 50 MW parabolic trough plants. With the addition of the two similar plants currently under construction onsite, the complex will be completed in 2013 creating the largest solar complex in Spain with a total installed capacity of 200 MW.
Abengoa, who will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the plant, owns 70 % of the two newly inaugurated plants while ITOCHU controls the remaining 30 %.
Cristina Elena Teniente Sánchez, Vice President of Extremadura, presided over the event. Also accompanying the attendees were Takeshi Kumekawa, President of ITOCHU Europe PLC; Santiago Seage, CEO of Abengoa Solar; José Antonio Echavarri Lomo, Extremadura Government Minister of Agriculture, Rural Development, Environment and Energy, and Maria Isabel Villa Naharro, the mayor of Logrosán. After the inaugural act, the guests toured the installation where they learned how the concentrating solar power technology functions.
The parabolic trough technology consists of a field of collectors that follow the movement of the sun and whose parabolic shaped mirrors concentrate the sun’s rays on receiver tubes that run through the focal point of the trough. In these tubes, the heat transfer fluid heats to approximately 400˚C. This hot fluid circulates through heat exchangers and produces steam. The steam is then used to generate electricity using a conventional steam turbine.
The first phase of the Extremadura Solar Complex is made up of two identical 50 MW concentrating solar parabolic trough plants, and each plant’s solar field covers about 110 hectares (270 acres).
From an environmental perspective, Abengoa’s two recently inaugurated plants at the Extremadura Solar Complex will produce the clean energy equivalent to that needed to power 52,000 households and will prevent 63,000 tons of CO2 from being emitted into the atmosphere each year.
Abengoa shares a clear commitment to growth and development with the communities where it is present, such as Extremadura, illustrated by the numerous direct and indirect social, environmental and economic benefits created. It is important to point out that the number of workers onsite peaked at more than 1300 during the construction phase and involved more than 20 companies from the Extremadura region. Additionally, 91 permanent, highly qualified jobs have been created for the operation and maintenance of the plants now that they have come online.
With the inauguration of these two plants, Abengoa strengthens its position as the international leader in concentrating solar power development and innovation. Abengoa designs, builds and operates its own plants, using both the parabolic trough and solar tower technologies, and currently has 743 MW in operation and 910 MW in construction throughout the world.