Spain’s proportion of electricity generation from PV and CSP is among the highest in the world.

Despite efforts by the Spanish government under the ruling Popular Party to dismantle the nation’s support for renewable energy, solar photovoltaics (PV) and concentrating solar power (CSP) supplied 7.4% of the electricity generated in the nation in August 2013.

PV supplied 910 Gigawatt-hours (GWh), or 4.2% of electricity generated, and concentrated solar power (CSP) another 689 GWh, or 3.2%, according to figures released by Electric Grid of Spain. This represents a 10% increase in PV output and a 42% increase in CSP output over August 2012.

All told, renewable energy including hydroelectric power supplied 36% of Spain’s electricity during August 2013. As a percentage of demand these figures are even higher, however such figures include transmission losses which will apply to large PV and CSP plants as they do fossil fuel and nuclear plants.

Spanish PV, CSP meeting higher portion of peak demand

During periods of peak demand, PV and CSP are supplying more of the share of power. In two hours of maximum demand, between 1-2 PM on August 2nd and August 22nd, PV and CSP together met 13.2% and 11.9% of demand respectively.

Spain reaches 46% renewables in January-August 2013

In the first eight months of 2013, PV supplied 3.5% of the nation’s electricity, and CSP another 1.8%, to total 5.3%. Spain has the largest amount of installed CSP of anywhere in the world, as well as the highest proportion of electricity generation from CSP.

In 2012, Spain had the third-highest percentage of electricity generation from solar in Europe at 4.3%, second only to Germany and Italy.

Renewable sources supplied 46% of the nation’s electricity in the first eight months of 2013. This was supported by strong hydro generation, which has been roughly double last year’s output. This puts Spain’s portion of electricity generated from renewables roughly on par with Denmark as one of the highest percentages in Europe outside of Scandinavia.