China government launched the first batch of 20 demonstration CSP project s in September 2016, and seven of the twenty were successively connected to the grid in the past two years. Meanwhile, 13 of the demos are not complete and some even announced cancellation.
As CSP Focus keeps reporting, CSP industry players are trying to “rescue” the “dead” projects. Three of the cases are made by two Chinese leading CSP project developers and EPCs—Shouhang High-Tech and SUPCON Solar, both of whom already built up CSP tower plants of their own.
Shouhang High-Tech continuously took over Guohua Yumen 100MW Molten Salt Tower Project and China Three Gorges New Energy Jinta 100MW Molten Salt Tower Project, and expected to complete them in two years by 2021.
SUPCON Solar told CSP Focus that Huanghe Hydropower Development 135MW Molten Salt Tower Project was already transferred to SUPCON and will be restarted soon.
Chart: Status of China 1st Batch of 20 Demonstration CSP Projects
Part I. Status of 7/20 operational China first batch of demonstration CSP projects
Chart: China Large-scale Commercial CSP Projects in Operation
1. CGN Solar Delingha 50MW Parabolic Trough CSP Project (9h TES)
China first large-scale CSP project which was connected to the grid on June 30, 2018 and officially operational on October 10, 2018. It achieved daily output of 800 MWh on April 16, 2019. It is the only finished CSP project taking parabolic trough technology.
2. Shouhang Dunhuang 100 MW Molten Salt Tower CSP Project (11h TES)
China first 100MW level CSP project and first large-scale molten salt tower CSP plant which was completed on December 28, 2018. It achieved daily output of 1,800 MWh on June 17, 2019.
3. SUPCON Solar Delingha 50MW Molten Salt Tower CSP Project (7h TES)
The third CSP demonstration project in China starting operation on December 30, 2018. The monthly generation reached record high at 17.1795 GWh in February 2020 (from Jan 26 to Feb 25), with the generation fulfillment rate of 102.9%.
4. Power China Gonghe 50MW Molten Salt Tower CSP Project (6h TES)
The project was connected to the grid on September 19, 2019.
5. CPECC Hami 50MW Molten Salt Tower CSP Project
The project was successfullly connected to the grid at 23:39 p.m. on December 29th, 2019.
6. Lanzhou Dacheng Dunhuang 50MW Molten Salt Fresnel Project
The project was successfullly connected to the grid at 17:50 p.m. on December 31, 2019, becoming the first demonstration Fresnel CSP project in China, and the world largest solar thermal power plant taking Fresnel CSP technology.
7. CSNP Royal Tech Urat 100MW Parabolic Trough CSP Project
Part II. Status and future of 13/20 uncompleted China first batch of demonstration CSP projects
1. Yumen Xinneng 50MW Beam-down Molten Salt Tower CSP Project
Installation and commissioning of solar field in Module 1 was completed, and installation of solar field in Modules No.2-10 is still in progress. No.1-3 Modules are expected to be completed and connected to the grid in 2020.
2. Royal Tech Yumendongzhen 50MW Parabolic Trough Project
EPC contract signed with Shouhang High-Tech Energy Co., Ltd. on June 2018. Construction is expected to be fully started after receiving clear policy.
3. Guohua Yumen 100MW Molten Salt Tower Project
The project announced cancellation after long time postpone of the bidding of EPC contractor, which was supposed to release in early 2017. But lot of investment of infrastructure and fundamental work had been done by the project company and local government together.
With strong commitment and support from local government of Yumen City of Gansu Province, Shouhang High-Tech Energy Co., Ltd. took over the project ownership and held feasibility study meeting on Dec 23, 2019.
4. China Three Gorges New Energy Jinta 100MW Molten Salt Tower Project
Shouhang High-Tech Energy Co., Ltd announced to take over the project ownership on Feb. 21, 2020, and hopefully complete the project by the end of 2021.
5. Dahua Shangyi 50MW Molten Salt Tower Project
The project was planned to use DSG tower technology originally, and changed to MS tower technology later.
Shouhang High-Tech Energy Co., Ltd. bought out the share of the project from some individual investors and took 49% of equity of the project recently. And Shouhang will also act as the EPC contractor of the project.
6. Rayspower Yumen 50MW Parabolic Trough Project
Early-stage work has been completed. The owner Rayspower signed Agreement with Shanghai Electric in 2018 to jointly progress the project.
7. Northern United Power Urat 50MW CLFR Project
Inner Mongolia Urat Company took over the project, changing the technology route into Prabolic Trough, and held feasibility study meeting in October, 2019.
8. Huanghe Hydropower Development 135MW Molten Salt Tower Project
SUPCON Solar took over the project and will be restarted soon.
9. Zhongyang Zhangjiakou Chabei 64MW Parabolic Trough Project
Early-stage work has been completed.
10. Shenzhen Jinfan Akesai 50MW Molten Salt Parabolic Trough Project
Part of financing and procurement work has been done, but the construction was paused due to financing problem. The developer is seeking for investment support.
11. Huaqiang Zhaoyang Zhangjiakou DSG 50MW CLFR Project
12. CECIC Gansu Wuwei Solar Power Gulang 100MW Parabolic Trough Project
13. CITIC Zhangbei DSG 50MW CLFR Project
Supposed to be cancelled.
Get fully learned of the current situation of China 1st batch of CSP demos and other projects, you may:
free download the 24-page report on China Large-scale CSP Projects Update (Jan-2020 Edition).