Over 2 GW of Concentrated Solar Power is operating in the southwestern US. As growing amounts of PV and wind are added to the grid in that part of the US in response to the steady movement towards a carbon free grid, there is an opportunity for CSP to compliment these variable energy resources. Concentrated Solar Power with thermal energy storage can provide carbon-free flexible, fully dispatchable synchronous energy on demand. However, it has been over 10 years since the last CSP plant was bid, received a PPA and subsequently came on line. One reason may be the lack of awareness of the current cost and performance of today’s CSP plants and how they could fit into the evolving grid in the SW US.
To bring some light about this topic, three CSP experts (Fred Morse, from Morse Associates; Michael Wagner from NREL and Henry Price from SolarDynamics) will be speaking in ATA Insights’ next open session:
- What? Free Webinar: Renewable, cheap, and dispatchable – how CSP & thermal storage solves the variability challenge
- When? Wednesday 13th Feb, 16:00 CET
- Where? Online – Places are free but limited. Sign up here: http://bit.ly/2DhpcNz
In this webinar, we’ll talk about:
- Hear a CSP cost and performance analysis of current CSP plants around the world and how CSP might fit into the evolving market in the US
- Consider the advantages, challenges, and optimal design of CSP + thermal storage + PV hybrids that are being built around the world
- Understand how and why CSP plants can be designed and optimized as peakers, load followers or flexible base-load plants to meet current and future needs of utilities
Remember, places are limited so make sure to reserve your spot here today.